Wednesday 12 March 2014

Stop and Think just for a minute.

I wonder how many of your have been watching BBC2 ‘An hour to save a life’. For those of you have have not I must say you are missing out at just how fantastic our emergency services are.
After watching you realise this is what A&E is all about. Life threatening situations with only an hour to save a life.    I do hope people see A&E for just that, Accidents and Emergencies and when using the services stop to think just for a minute....
Stop and think can this be dealt with by other means.. self care, GP, Pharmacies.  Some people are quick to say they went to A&E because they couldn’t get an appointment. I am beginning to challenge this back.  I am looking at our reports coming in, looking at the times of the visits, our capacity in the practice and calculating  the cost.  I am even actively contacting patients.  I have some good examples of patients having an appointment with the GP yet still going the same day to A&E. Dental problems going to A&E.  I’m not sure if others know that all Dentists have an emergency out of hours service just like the GP’s. As some of you may know I work voluntary for the Ambulance Service as a first responder and hey ho my bleep has just gone off alerting me to ‘high demand’ and at full stretch. 
On a positive note it’s nice to see some of our health service providers being put forward for the ‘best of health awards’ that’s being run by the Sunderland Echo.  It seems a long time since we were winners of the GP Practice of the Year Award.  Here at Westbourne we would like to wish everyone who’s nominated good luck and you should be proud of your achievement.  Its also good to see one of our local pharmacies up for an award.  Well done to Jaz and the team at Penshaw Pharmacy.



No comments:

Post a Comment