Wednesday 7 May 2014

Paying to see a GP... What do you think ?

Having time on my hands as a NHS patient, reading everyday the emails and tweets it’s got me thinking. in fact its got me on my podium.  (had to use a self image otherwise I could get sued for copyright). 

I get it.. I really do that the NHS has to save money.  We have to free up A&E for ‘real’ Accidents & Emergencies not....  ‘I’ve had a sore throat for 2 days and could not get an appointment at my Doctors’.  Come on take some responsibility for yourself. This is what is part of the problem.  People think they are taking responsibility for their own health, but they are not!   There, I’ve said it. Many wont just in case it upsets someone.  Yes you have a sore throat… buy some lozenges and if its get no better see the GP not visit A&E.  Antibiotics are not always the answer, the quick fix.


Being in the trade (pardon the pun) I am very aware of what is going on in our back yard.  The media tells us patients groups are up there making decisions being consulted but I wonder.  Do our patients really know what the future could look like?  Would our patients really kick up a fuss now before the future is here if the future of GP Practice was none existent and you had to pay to see someone when you were ill?   This bank holiday, weekend whilst sofa bound it got me thinking.  Would I be happy knowing that if I needed a GP (not just at the weekend/out of hours) but at anytime that I would have to contact a call centre and be given an appointment to attend to see ‘someone, somewhere’.  I reckon this is the future.  Shoot me down if I’m wrong but I seriously believe this is what the politicians want. When would this be from?   I’m not sure.   Why?  Just read daily what’s in the papers and on twitter.. The government’s vision.  Shared budgets!!!  Shared care !!! joined up services.  It’s like it’s a new invention working together.  I remember when we tried the seamless service and where are we now?  Oh yes working on better care funds !!!  Look beyond the words on the paper I say.  What happens when it gets too big, when no-one knows what’s happening anymore and it’s no longer contained? Oh yes lets not forget we have to pay for it as well.  You decide, my opinion is dilute it to a point and we will have lost it all, our NHS, the one which has fixed me free of charge on many occasions.

My real concern is  patients  hear the banter but don’t think their voice will matter therefore do and say nothing.. Believe me it matters. Don't leave it until its too late. I keep telling you  what is  happening in GP land . Why is it that patients don't get involved.?  I think it’s because patients think its not going to affect them. Those in the know will.  Keep the NHS as the NHS, free at the point of contact.  I hope that following the Channel 5 programme ‘GP behind closed doors’ (excellent programme which I must say has caused a stir amongst managers in GP land as we can all relate to this) do a follow up on what the future will look like. Now that would be a challenge. 

How do we get ALL patients to help, get involved? I don’t think that will happen.  Yes the active groups will have a voice but it will take more than our patients’ voice to make much of a change.
Will be interesting to hear the parties’ views on this coming up to an election!  Believe me I have written to some including the Shadow Secretary of State for Health and asked for them to come and give a talk locally on the vision of the future.   Must say Sunderland must not be that appealing as given a full year of dates no-one wanted/could come!  The message to me is we must not be worthy! 

Those who know me will tell you I’m not one for being sucked in or following the crowd.  I will speak out if it’s not right for me as a patient. Whets the ‘thought for today’ Oh yes. Let’s charge patients to see a GP.  The start of the slippery slope..  the worlds gone mad and in a climate where many are on or below the breadline.  What next.. free 5 minutes at the food banks.  Let’s keep the NHS free at the point of contact and deter patients from failing to attend an appointment. If a charge needs to be levied then charge those who fail to attend appointment (unless of course patient admitted to hospital).  We do ourselves have a few patients who failed to attend on a regular basis and even though you speak to them it makes no difference and to be honest I don’t think some of them care.

GP practices are starved of income and have been for a number of years.  No money for premises improvements, making targets harder to hit and if you listen to the government they tell you they are throwing money at us. For goodness sake admit the truth, you took money away from us and we have to work bleeding hard to get some of it back.  Admit the reason why it’s happening.. ‘the future’.   
Did that line ‘charging patients’ make you stop and think or did you read it and think it’s not going to happen.  I really hope they don’t charge us for seeing a GP.  Being honest I don’t have a problem with charging when you attend minor injuries or walk in centres. (the cost to the practice budget is £68 when you attend, so would you pay that much from your own pocket or would you stop and think maybe I could help myself).   We have to pay if we go to a dentist; hence I dare bet people only go when they have to.  If you’ve read my previous blogs you will know why. I’m a great believer in the more you give the more people want hence 24/7 GP hours.  GP’s have a home and need to see their families as much as anyone else.  Our staff have homes and families.  With a little more compassion for each other, with a little more self care we could be on the right road.   My goodness what did we do years ago when it was because you had to see the Doctor you did.  And that’s when one of the three bottles on the shelf would make you better.  My grandparents lived to a good age, with a large family being the one who made sure we all were fit and well. Sore throats in them days you still had to go to work (down the pit) the magic cure was goose fat clagged onto your neck. It worked!

I’m all for innovation, looking to the future and embracing it, but only when it feels right for me as a patient. All I know am I want to keep seeing MY GP and I want the government to properly invest in General Practice.  

Let wait and see what the vote is on charging patients, in the meantime let me know your thoughts.

Gloria (from her sofa)


No comments:

Post a Comment